Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Mountain of "Stuff"

Stuff got you feeling down lately? Feeling overwhelmed, overworked, and overtired? Perhaps it’s the vicious cycle you are in that is making you feel emotionally wrecked, vacant, and just plain ol’ down and out! No, this post is not an online therapy session (at least not intentionally!); rather, it is a wakeup call about what you can do to stop the “stuff” cycle!

What is the “stuff” I’m referring to? Well, it’s all the things in our lives….the things that we consume, from single-use bags to coffee cups. It’s the stuff that we never seem to get enough of, such as clothing, shoes, gas, and household knick-knacks. And it’s the way in which we rely on others to create and provide for us, such as buying fast food, pre-packaged meals, and getting our shirts laundered at the dry cleaners. Often, we don’t stop to consider the impact our actions and buying trends have on the environment and our well-being.

If you’re feeling stuck, ill-informed, or just at a loss about what you can do to disengage from the stuff cycle, I urge you to view this video (see link below). Just think of it as the Cliff Notes for Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth , but without all the dramatic music.

After viewing the clip, check back here for some mildly humorous reflections from Mrs. Green Jeans (that’s me!). The Story of Stuff

Consider how much you really know about the stuff in your life. Where is it made? With what materials? How are the workers treated? How far does the item travel before it reaches store shelves? How long of a “life” does the item have? Once you no longer have a need for it, where does it go? Does it go into landfill? Can it be recycled? What is its carbon footprint? The questions could go on and on. And really, we should be considering how we would answer them.

Now I’m no saint, and while I am certainly more “green” and eco-conscious than many folks, I've considered my "stuff" and discovered that I’ve got some pretty bad habits that I’m working on breaking. So, while being my own whistle blower won’t earn me any awards, perhaps you’ll be more inclined to change YOUR bad habits once you realize that no of us are perfectly green, and that ALL of us can and should do more.

Each day, over the next 10 days or so, I’ll share one of my bad habits, as well as something good (and maybe even fabulous!) I’m doing for the environment. Don’t be shy – share your habits too – the good, the bad, and the ugly (or fabulous)! And no more baby steps…it’s time to start running at a healthy pace in this race to preserve the one planet that we’ve got!



The Bad....


1. Single use cups at Peet’s coffee. I LOVE me a good latte with extra foam, but I often forget my travel mug. And really, what’s keeping me coming back to Peet’s over and over is their latte foam. I don't get a lid, as the lid plastic is a #6 (very bad stuff!), but the cup is coated, so it doesn't biodegrade easily.

Solution: Make my lattes at home, using the espresso machine I bought just for that purpose and learn how to make better foam! Perhaps there is a Peet’s employee out there willing to give up the foam-making secret?



The Good....

I dry my clothes on a rack. It is a bit more difficult to do in winter, but for the rest of the year, you’ll save tons of money and energy! Our energy bill went from $145/month to $45/month when I ditched the dryer! (I still use the dryer occasionally – perhaps 1 load per week for things that don’t dry quickly, like blankets and thick towels.)


The Fabulous...

Okay, this is an extremely expensive green gesture, but I want all of you who are on the fence about if you should change out your dinosaur HVAC system and upgrade to something more efficient to take the leap! I just got our gas bill...(drum roll, please)....$30! Yes, you read that correctly. Here's a recap of our energy-saving stats:


Regular use of dryer: $145 / month

Very limited use of dryer: $45 / month

Very limited use of dryer
plus new 95% efficiency
HVAC system: $30 / month


Check back tomorrow for another eco-sin. Until then, I welcome you to share YOUR habits - perhaps we can learn from one another!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home