Monday, May 31, 2010

Green Dreams

Okay, so it may seem like I have fallen off the Green Wagon, but the truth is, I just haven't had TIME to blog about all things green, although I think and dream about earth-friendliness all the time.

I was SUPPOSED to keep up with my tips on how to green one's home and I got as far as the bedroom, which is not a bad place to start - or finish. Ahem. Anyhow, while I'm sure I'll get back to my listing of green things to do in your home, I've got too many other green things on my mind to talk about...for now.

So here is what I have been thinking...and dreaming about lately:

  • The Oil Spill - Not just because it is destroying our oceans one molecule of water and one organism at a time, but also because of how I am adding to the devastation by driving my car to work every day. The problem is that there is NO easy way to get from the far reaches of the East Bay (think San Ramon Valley) to the far reaches of Sausalito. I have looked into taking BART part of the way and biking the rest - will attempt the 24-mile round trip bike ride soon! 


  • Shelly's Farm Fresh Eggs - Bought them the other day at Whole Foods in San Ramon, CA, but they are available at many other places. We were absolutely delighted to open the carton to find brown, white, and blue eggs, as well as various different sizes. Such fun and local!





  • Urban Farm - My favorite new magazine! They print on recycled paper with earth-friendly inks, and they have wonderful content - from learning how to create your own little urban garden to reading about others' work to turn empty lots into green havens for everyone to enjoy. Of course, they also feature cool products like SeedBallz, which are hand rolled by people with disabilities right here in the US, and all the fixin's and trimmin's for chicken coops, greenhouses, and compost bins. It's a great read - and may convince you to convert your little patch of grass to a garden of eatin'!



  •  Organic Undies - If you haven't noticed many organic cotton unders are well, something my granny might wear. This has been bothersome as I want to make green choices, especially with articles of clothing that are on my skin for more hours a day than any other type of clothing. So I was ecstatic to find PACT underwear! They have many different styles and patterns and won't leave an underwear line (that's a deal-breaker for me!) 

  • Green Schools - as the new co-leader of the Green Initiative at my son's school, I have been thinking a lot about the direction our school needs to take. I am taking note from organizations that have already paved the way for us, such as Green Schools Initiative, The Center for Ecoliteracy, and the Green Education Foundation.  Future bloggings, I'm sure, will be about our progress!

Last thought for the day...what if we ALL grew a little something - whether in containers or in the ground - what if we all grew something to share with one another, with others in need? Would it result in one less car trip to the store? Would we know our neighbors better? Would we be more connected to Mother Earth, and therefore, more respectful of how we treat her? It is something to ponder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home